Everyone was so fooled by these little “mushrooms” I had to keep telling them they weren’t real.
& they fit in perfect with my Tinkerbell/Pixie Hollow theme and were so easy to make! not to mention delicious!
Want to know how i bamboozled everyone?
all you need is:
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar
chocolate ( i used semi sweet chips)
cocoa powder (for dusting)
1. take your egg whites and cream of tartar and beat them with the whisk attachment. i beat them til they were looking kind of foamy. turn your oven to 225 F.
[[ it is so important that there are no traces of the egg yellow in your mix, and that your bowl and whisk are clean or else they wont beat right. i had the tiniest bit of yellow when trying to get the white separated and it would NOT beat correctly! and if you are wondering how did i fix the mistake? i couldn’t 😦 ]]
2. add in the sugar one tbsp at a time. beat the mix til it looks soft, glossy and kind of like marshmallow fluff.
3. pipe out the pieces of the mushroom ( i used a piping bag and coupler or if you have a big enough round tip-like a 1/2″)
[one sheet was just the circle that would become the mushroom tops. (i dipped my finger in water to smooth out the tops if they didn’t circle out nicely enough)
another sheet i created little stems by piping a small circle and lifting the bag up to make it stand ]
4. bake for 1 hour. after one hour turn off the heat and let them sit in the oven for another 30-60 minutes. you want them to dry out.
5. take the stems and with a sharp knife cut off a little of the top to create a flat stem top. (it will help when you adhere the top and stem together)
6. melt your chocolate til it is just glossy. take a spoon and a mushroom top and apply chocolate to the bottom of it. take a stem and stick it to the chocolate. lay them upside to set. (you can put them in the fridge for a bit but i just let mine air dry)
i baked them ahead of time (because planning a party gets crazier each day) and kept them in a tupperware and they were amazing.