“what the heck is a zoodles?” thats what i asked michelle when she told me she was making them for lunch the other day.
noodles made from zucchini! she sent me a pic of her lunch so i could see what they were; this new found way of eating pasta and vegetables- veggie pasta!
and then i started to see them in lots of places, zoodles I mean…
apparently they are really easy to make as long as you have a vegetable spiral slicer (other names include Vegettiti, spiralizer, spiralife, etc) i figured since im trying to eat healthy and whatnot i might as well pick one of these things up and see what they’re all about. i got mine from bed bath and beyond but i know there’s a multitude on amazon.
(researching these spiral cutter thingys found that you can cut lots of different vegetables with it and store them in the fridge. as long as they are the RAW veggies. – carrots, sweet potatoes, zucchini, jicama just to name a few…
apparently if you cook them and try to take them for the lunch the next day they’ll be a mushy mess. which isn’t what most people want to eat for lunch. haven’t done my own field testing to say for sure, but i don’t want to waste food trying either 🙂 )
they are also a way better option if you are going for a “pasta” dish as they contain wayyy fewer calories.
also a good way to make curly fries, your own ramen soup, maybe even a sweet potato mac n cheese. experiments for another day…
I gathered up my stuff and made Zoodles for dinner !
But I must say it was a really tasty dish! D liked them too! I’m definitely gonna make them again! I think I might try pesto zoodles next..
Garlic & Parmesan Cheese Zoodles w/ Mushrooms
to make them you need:
zucchini ( i used 2 fairly large ones)
garlic cloves (i used 2 big ones)
seasoning ( i used garlic powder and sea salt)
a spiral slicer
1.Cut the stem off the zucchini, and use your spiral slicer to cut them into noodles. Put them in a bowl.
2. Season the noodles, I used garlic powder and sea salt.
3. Let the noodles “marinate” in the seasoning. I let mine sit for 20 mins.
4. Get a pan and melt some butter ( i used I can’t believe its not butter light!). Let the garlic cook for a bit in it. ( I had my stove on a little higher than medium)
5. Cook the mushrooms in the butter. Remove and set aside.
6. Pat dry the zoodles. [Or in my case squeeze all the excess water off]
7. Cook them in the pan for at least 5 mins. Add the mushrooms. Let them cook together for like 2 minutes. Remove from the stove.
8. Top with parmesan cheese and enjoy !!
BAKED SWEET POTATO
(this is how i quickly make baked potatoes)
- Get a potato (sweet or regular) Poke it all over with a knife.
- Put it in the microwave. Depending on the size cook it for at least 3 mins on each side. I always touch the side that was face down and if it feels a little soft I know it is basically good.
- After cooking both sides, take it out and slice it in half, open the sides so it lays flat with the open sides up.
- Slice diagonals into each side, both ways. (It will look like you have cubes in the potato skins.
- D likes cinnamon so i sprinkle that over his. I like butter so I put it in the crevices, and sometimes I do parmesan cheese. – this time i just added the cheese after.
- Put it in the toaster oven on broil for a few mins.
- Take it out and enjoy !